• Work with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in the agency and other city departments to
gather information and write documents.
• Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents to communicate clearly and effectively
technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences.
• Develops, writes, and publishes internal and external publications using various graphic
• Works independently preparing and maintaining highly complex documentation,
procedures and methods.
• Provides expert oversight of technical writing and editing to all phases of technical
documentation for a Program, Project, or Contract as required.
• May act as project leader for projects with complex or voluminous documentation and
may provide or coordinate special documentation services as required.
• Responsible for preparing reports, responses, and briefings targeted to a wide range of
• Works with developers to produce quality documentation and training materials.
• Coordinates layout and design of documents. Create documentation methodology and
• Document core product and customer solution-specific information.
• Explain technical ideas in simple language.
• Write technical direction on announcements, outreach material and brochures.
• Meet with customer representatives, vendors, agency heads, or other stakeholders as
required to establish technical specifications.
• Create document flow diagrams. Study drawings, specifications, mockups, and product
samples. Create user documentation for a variety of material, including how-to guides
and instruction manuals.
Education and Experience:
• 2-5 years of experience as Technical Writer for Government proposals
• Minimum of Bachelor of Science degree in a related field
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft SharePoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
Acrobat, Visio, and Autodesk AutoCAD software
• Have direct experience writing technical documents for government or a government
• General knowledge of IT concepts, technologies, and methodologies, such as networks,
cyber security, software development, cloud computing, service desk management, ITIL,
DevOps, Agile, and SDLC.
• Understands basic concepts, responsible for writing technical copy for various types of
documents for a program/project of similar complexity.
• Ability to understand various subject matters including information technology and
• Ability to author documents or rewrite documents/publications
• Strong working knowledge or experience with Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
• Experience setting schedules, tracking deliverables and reporting progress.
• Ability to demonstrate technical aptitude and to synthesize technical information
• Demonstrable ability to grasp technical concepts and translate to compelling,
understandable documents for both technical and non-technical readers.
• Ability to support and meet dynamic and tight deadlines, including occasional nights
• Ability to plan and prioritize strategically.
• Very strong interpersonal, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
• Ability to effectively interact with a wide range of personnel.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask with multiple high-priority demands in an intense,
• Ability to think critically and draw from multiple resources to create unified and
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or