Location: Paradise, Michigan (Upper Peninsula; Whitefish Point Bird Observatory
Reports to: Operations Manager
Status: Part-time, seasonal, contract (April-October)
Classification: Non-exempt; $10-12 hourly
The Owls Roost Gift Shop attendant provides exceptional customer service to visitors and guests; keeps a well-kept and clean environment for guests to enjoy; stocks merchandise on a daily basis; maintains consistent communication with the administrative headquarters of the organization; and works independently to ensure accuracy, professionalism, customer service, and high-level retail organization are maintained throughout the season (April-October).
There are three positions available with varying hours on an annual basis. These vacancies are posted November-March each year for seasonal employment.
If you are outgoing, friendly, detail-oriented, have a service-driven attitude, and a passion for connecting birds and people for the benefit of both, please consider applying.
- Ensures all products and displays are merchandised effectively to maximize sales and profitability.
- Delivers unparalleled customer service to each guest that enters the gift shop, including information about Whitefish Point Bird Observatory (WPBO) and Michigan Audubon, the parent organization of WPBO.
- Opening and closing of the business.
- Performs many functional duties such as keeping a clean work area, dusting display shelves, stocking merchandise, etc.
- Assists with resolving operational deficiencies in areas needing attention to maintain the highest level of operation.
- Price marks each item in inventory and works with administrative headquarters to ensure inventory is accurate and reports are complete.
- Receives payment for merchandise for the amount of sale and makes change accordingly.
- Assists with making deposits.
- Assists with ordering new and old inventory items as requested.
- Represents Michigan Audubon and WPBO with positivity, professionalism, and enthusiasm.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time during shift.
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of relevant retail experience preferred.
- Demonstrated comfort and familiarity with using Square and retail-based technological tools.
- Merchandise display preferred.
- Cash register and computer experience necessary.
- Strong, proven track record of positive customer service required.
- Commitment to conservation and the mission of the Michigan Audubon.
How to Apply
We are accepting applications until the position is filled. Please send resume, cover letter, and three retail references. Candidates considered for these positions will be notified via email if an interview is requested. No phone calls or additional email inquiries, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Michigan Audubon is committed to recruiting, selecting, and retaining the best employees by affording equal employment opportunity to all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
About Michigan Audubon
Michigan Audubon is a statewide conservation organization founded in 1904 and based in Okemos, Michigan. Michigan Audubon has a network of 41 local chapters and owns 18 bird sanctuaries throughout the state. We own and operate Whitefish Point Bird Observatory as a program, and conduct programming, advocacy, outreach, and stewardship on behalf of birds and their habitats throughout Michigan. Michigan Audubons mission is to connect birds and people for the benefit of both through conservation, education, and research programs.