Company Website: www.thewayback.org
Since 1980, The Way Back, Inc. has provided housing to people with mental illness. The Agency's mission is to provide the resources to help people with psychiatric disabilities reintegrate into the community and to assist them with their recovery.
Counselors provide support, education and supervision to residents. Counselors evaluate resident needs, provide crisis intervention, communicate with service providers, maintain records, provide recreation, etc. This is a challenging and rewarding position, with possible career advancement opportunities. There is NO personal hygiene care involved (ie: toileting, showering, etc.)
Position Available: Full Time Direct Care Counselor (Weekend Shift)
Location: Commack, NY
Compensation: $15.68/hr. Overtime rate $23.52/hr.+ sleep stipend paid out quarterly ($225).
Hours: Friday 1:30pm through Monday 9:00am. Sleep time is onsite each night from 11:00pm-7:00am each night. This is a 40 hour weekend shift. The employee will stay/sleep at the site through the weekend with a second counselor. This is a live-in weekend position.
Benefits: Union Local 1102 member, Union Health Benefits (paid 100% by company if employee only coverage, spouse & family coverage available at an additional cost to the employee). PTO includes accrued vacation, sick, 403(b) retirement plan.
The counselor is responsible for the support, education, and supervision of 10-14 clients located in our Community Residence in the Commack area.
General Job Duties:
1. Evaluate individual client needs and meet them.
2. Provide daily supervision to clients.
3. Assess client's functional ability.
4. Provide crisis recognition and management.
5. Supervise each client's medication management.
6. Retrieve, log in, and monitor clients' prescriptions for accuracy and timely renewals.
7. Conduct medication inventories.
8. Regularly communicate with service providers.
9. Assist clients with chore completion and room maintenance.
10. Accompany and oversee clients in food and petty cash shopping.
11. Coordinate menu planning and food/petty cash shopping lists.
12. Maintain client records.
13. Implement service plan, service plan reviews, and provide services according to
14. Establish Service Plan Review (SPR) meetings for primary clients.
15. Attend meetings in residence and community (day programs. etc.)
16. Prepare and conduct adult daily living skills and recreation activities.
17. Maintain communication with supervisor, family and service providers.
1. Ability to complete work accurately and efficiently.
2. Ability to independently organize one's weekly and/or monthly tasks.
3. Ability to write legibly with grammatical accuracy.
4. Ability to work on diversified duties.
Education and/or Experience REQUIRED:
High School Diploma with 1-3 years of experience. Associate's/Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Human Services Highly Preferred. Previous on-the-job experience in community residential programs or counseling situation. Considerable knowledge of mental illness required.
Additional Job Requirements:
Must have a car, valid driver's license, and insurance. Must successfully complete fingerprinting as required by the NYS Office of Mental Health.
To be considered, please reply to this listing with your resume:
The Way Back, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer