The Ability Center is a non-profit organization that helps individuals with disabilities gain and maintain independence in everyday living and encourages them to become active members of their communities. We offer a variety of programs, services, as well as promote understanding of disabilities. Located in Sylvania, Ohio, we serve seven counties in northwestern Ohio, including Lucas, Ottawa, Wood, Fulton, Henry, Defiance, and Williams.
The Carpenter/General Laborer will be responsible for the construction, installation, repair and removal of wooden and aluminum wheelchair accessible ramps, low-rise steps, grab-bars and handrails, and other accessibility projects. They will maintain production, product quality and quantity. They will work closely with the Home Accessibility Manager and Construction & Housing Supervisor to maximize consumer satisfaction and outcomes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for identifying, requesting and streamlining all resources necessary for the successful completion of ACT's home modification contracts.
2. Must be able to identify basic measuring tools as well as various widths and lengths of lumber. Use hand tools to dig, and shape ground in preparation for placement of ramp sections. Able to use a circular saw, miter saw, table saw, router, power auger, and various drills.
3. The Carpenter/General Laborer will select tools, equipment, and materials and assist in loading and unloading the trailer to and from work sites. Must be able to use various tools and equipment to fasten timbers with screws, bolts, lags and nails. The Carpenter/General Laborer will clean work areas, machines, and equipment, to maintain a clean and safe jobsite.
4. Must be able to measure and read constructions drawings.
5. Must be able to lift 75lbs independently and up to 153lbs with assistance from another person.
6. Makes recommendations to both the Home Accessibility Manager and the Construction & Housing Supervisor regarding logistics pertaining to consumer project completion.
7. Must be able to work independently on projects as required.
8. Will be required to drive in our service area using ACT vehicles and ACT trailers. Will be required to use personal vehicle when ACT vehicle not available to perform various job duties as assigned.
9. Will be responsible for entering data into shared production and forecasting excel worksheets.
10. Documents work via work logs or case notes
Qualifications: The Carpenter/General Laborer should have at least 2 years' general labor and/or construction experience, proof of valid Driver's License and clean driving record is required.
Excellent interpersonal skills and must have the ability to organize work, attend to detail and maintain confidential records. Must possess quality verbal and written communication skills. Must portray a positive attitude toward the needs, abilities, and rights of persons with disabilities. Must be self-directed and self-motivated as projects demand. Demonstrated experience setting up and using equipment including: circular saw, miter saw, table saw, router, power auger, drills, and other similar construction tools needed for projects. Personal hand tools and tool belt may be necessary along with steel toe boot work boots.
Working Conditions: Office, warehouse, and outdoors which includes occasional exposure to inclement weather.
The Ability Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We strongly encourage persons with disabilities and minorities to apply.