Fruit and Flower at PCC Rock Creek Campus
PRESCHOOL CLASSROOM ASSISTANT TEACHER
Must be enrolled in the Central Background Registry: https://oregonearlylearning.com/providers-educators/providers-educatorscbr/
Must be a step 8 or higher in the Oregon Step Registry. Information on steps can be found at: https://www.pdx.edu/education-career-development/steps-credentials-oro
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The Teacher supports and helps carry out the program designed by the Operations Director and Classroom Lead Teacher. The Teacher is responsible for cooperating with Operations Director, Lead Teacher, and classroom team to provide a safe, loving, and developmentally appropriate program.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Is assigned by the HR Director to work under the Lead Teacher in the classroom. Receives direct supervision from the classroom Lead Teacher. The Lead Teacher and the Director will evaluate effectiveness of work.
ESSENTIAL REQUIRED JOB FUNCTIONS AND TASKS:
· Maintains visual and auditory supervision of children at all times, to insure their safety in the classroom, and on the playground.
· Lifts, carries, and holds children up to 45 pounds in both standing and sitting positions, using proper lifting techniques.
· Stoops, crawls, kneels, and bends in order to play with children, to speak to children at the child’s eye level, and to pick up toys and equipment from the floor.
· Communicates verbally, and in writing with other staff and parents, regarding children and other program issues.
· Takes charge of the entire group in Teacher’s absence, including the supervision of aides and substitutes in the room. Opens or closes the classroom each day, in cooperation with Teacher, to ensure program continuity.
· Establishes and maintains relationship with parents and families of children in the group, so that parents feel comfortable discussing issues and concerns.
· Maintains continuing dialogue with all staff regarding the development of the children, the overall functioning of the room, and any other pertinent issues within the program.
· Cares for equipment and materials and is alert to good housekeeping.
· Is aware of, and diligent in following all health and safety policies and regulations.
· Assures up-to-date records by recording information on all pertinent forms. Assists with children’s reports and any other required forms.
· Contributes suitable ideas and suggestions to planning sessions for the children’s program. Helps produce and set up needed materials and supplies.
· Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisors.
· Takes advantage of training opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to relate comfortably to children and adults. Ability to communicate ideas, concerns and feelings regarding the program and procedures to the appropriate person. Must be able to accept supervision and also give directions to Staff in the room. Knowledge of normal growth and development of children and ability to detect variations and take appropriate actions. Ability to appropriately communicate feelings involving interpersonal relations to the people involved. Must be flexible yet able to set and maintain limits. Must have physical stamina to meet job demands.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Must have documentation of attaining teacher qualifications or step 8 in the Oregon Step Registry. (OAR 414-300-0100)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
$18.00 an hour.
Medical insurance after 90 review period.
Dental insurance after 4-month review period.
Paid time off after successful completion of review period.
Job Type: Full-time