About the Watershed Stewards Program
For 27 years, the California Conservation Corps Watershed Stewards Program in partnership with AmeriCorps (WSP) has been engaged in comprehensive, community-based, watershed restoration and education throughout coastal California. The primary focus of WSP is to assist communities and organizations with habitat restoration for salmonids (Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon and Steelhead Trout) in order to rehabilitate these threatened and endangered species to healthy and historic populations. Additionally, WSP provides watershed education and outreach in high-needs communities throughout the state, engages WSP Corpsmembers in volunteer recruitment efforts to increase the capacity and reach of partner organizations, and helps Corpsmembers develop into the next generation of natural resource professionals.
WSP fosters inclusion, inspires innovation, and encourages respect by embracing the diverse talents, perspectives, and backgrounds of all applicants. Each of us brings to the table a lifetime of experiences and knowledge. Each Corpsmember and staff is different and adds value to the organization because of these differences. WSP seeks applicants that represent the racial, gender, cultural, and socio-economic diversity of American society.
WSP corpsmembers are between the ages of 18 and 28 years old, looking to gain experience in natural resources, educations, and national service. WSP Corpsmembers serve (usually in pairs) under the guidance of professionals (Mentors) at state, federal, and local agencies as well as non-profit organizations (Placement Sites) across California. They are both CCC Corpsmembers and AmeriCorps members with an interest in national service and watershed restoration.
Materials Manager Position Description
Under the direction of the Fortuna CCC District Director and WSP Program Staff, the WSP Material Manager will perform the following duties:
Assist with: Procurement, Inventory, and Distribution (50% of time) – Working with program staff and vendors, using state purchasing rules and guidelines the Material Manager will:
· prepare bids, inventory, distribute, maintain, and manage program materials; including but not limited to, safety and field gear, uniforms, office supplies, first aid, media aids, online subscriptions, IT equipment, tools, and vehicle supplies.
· assist with procurement of lodging, transportation, food, vendor services, and materials for program operations including events and trainings.
· assist with program procurement process including researching products, work with vendors, utilize purchasing forms, review purchase request lists, utilize accounting codes, track approvals at all levels, maintain records, receive, and conduct regular inventory of all goods and services.
· Follow all state procurement guidelines and rules including mandatory state contracts and purchasing/bid process, ensure accountable, efficient, and effective use of funds.
· Review, analyze, establish and document ordering and inventory systems for the WSP offices, including training other staff and program participants.
· Keep warehouse/storage and office areas clean and well organized.
· Launder, fold, clean, label and organize uniforms, gear, and outreach materials
· Work with CCC Fortuna staff on signed approvals for purchasing, payment management and records.
· Work with Program and Office Manager to review and follow budgets.
· Maintain detailed records.
· Complete and track CM gear requests as needed.
· Keep a thorough and up-to-date inventory of all program supplies for both office locations.
Clerical and Administrative Support (50% of time) – The Materials Manager will work closely with the Office Manager and other program staff to complete the following tasks:
· Assist the Office Manager and WSP staff with pre-enrollment, enrollment, and exit processes and paperwork.
· Assist with the tracking, printing, filing, and management of Corpsmember and Placement Site paperwork including timesheets and stipend distribution.
· Work closely with the Office Manager and WSP staff to train in the Office Manager duties, ensuring that basic Office Manager job functions can be accomplished by the Materials Manager if required. Perform general office duties such as copying, scanning, faxing, and filing.
· Maintain effective communication with WSP and CCC staff.
· Assist with maintaining all office files, both confidential and non-confidential, including sorting, organizing, and filing, creating new, archiving, and purging according to file-retention standards.
· Ensure all physical records and files are maintained in compliance with State and Program requirements.
· Assist at WSP and CCC events and trainings as directed.
· Answer office phones as needed, check mail and support inter-office communications.
· Perform general office duties such as cleaning, copying, scanning, faxing, and filing.
· High school diploma or GED
· One-year purchasing and inventory management experience
· Experience developing systems for organizing and distributing materials
· One-year office administration experience: managing and tracking incoming paperwork, filing, email etiquette
· Intermediate computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite -including Excel
· Ability to work independently, analyze situations and effectively report out to team on status of projects
· Highly organized and detail-oriented
· Experience prioritizing projects/tasks and meeting deadlines
· Ability to communicate priorities and seek/provide feedback within a team setting
· Pleasant, professional, and well-spoken
· Excellent interpersonal communication
· Ability to:
o work occasional weekends and evenings
o travel 1-2 weeks per year
o stand and walk for long periods of time
o walk up and down stairs
o repeatedly lift 25 -45 lbs.
o pass a criminal history check
o Learn rapidly and follow directions
o communicate effectively with other staff
o Exercise good work habits such as punctuality, skill, neatness and dependability
o make satisfactory progress in a prescribed training program
o interpret written material
o edit written material
o write effectively and analyze written and numerical data accurately
o make clear, concise oral presentations
o pass a criminal history check and drug test
o CA Driver’s License with a clean driving record
· BA degree
· Experience with procurement within a state agency
· Desire to contribute to environmental restoration, education, and youth development
· Ability to perform basic construction and maintenance tasks
· Comfortable providing directions/training to others in groups of 10-50
· Experience with project management or program event planning
· Excellent verbal and written communication
· Experience working with Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
· Ability to obtain a Class C CA Driver’s license with Passenger endorsement
This is a Special Corpsmember Position (not a state/civil servant employee position) full-time, in-person
(will consider part-time)
Benefits - Time and one-half for any hours worked over 40 hours per week, paid vacation and sick leave, optional medical insurance.
Location – WSP Office, 1455 Sandy Prairie Ct. Suite C Fortuna, CA 95540 Work shifts – 8:00 – 5:00 Monday – Friday, full-time hours per week. Occasional Weekend or evening shift.
Final position schedule will be determined upon hire. Days off vary monthly.
Looking to hire now!