QR Code Link to This Post
The Literacy Council of Northern Virginia, an adult literacy nonprofit and Parade Magazineâs selection for Virginiaâs outstanding charity is seeking a Communication Coordinator for 40 hours per week, with occasional evenings and weekends. This full-time position is responsible for the internal and external communications for LCNV initiatives, including media opportunities, events, publications, and social media planning.
The mission of the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia (LCNV) is to teach adults the basic skills of reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English so they can access employment and
educational opportunities and more fully and equitably participate in the community.
Communications and Publications:
1. Work with management team to conceptualize annual communications priorities for the organization. Develop and implement communications plan based on the priorities.
2. Ensure all communications are consistent with LCNV brand and style guidelines.
3. Coordinate messages to target audiences including learners, volunteers, donors, staff, community partners, and media.
4. Create, edit and disseminate all print and online collateral and publications including annual reports, academic advertising, e-newsletters, social media, website, weekly blog, and other promotional materials.
5. Support the conceptualization and implement the production of special publicity campaigns.
6. Update contact information and preferences of learners, volunteers, donors, community partners and media in the LCNV database as needed.
7. Maintain and manage inventory of promotional materials.
8. Capture, edit, and organize photo and video documentation of LCNV classes, trainings, and stakeholders.
9. Utilize web analytics and Google AdWords to optimize website and social media content.
10. Organize, maintain, and add to catalog of LCNV success stories.
Media and Outreach:
1. Serve as primary media point of contact. Provide telephone support, coordinate tours of the facility, secure TV, radio, newspaper, and online media promotions, and speak to the media on behalf of LCNV as needed.
2. Develop and maintain local and national media contacts, including those with ethnic reach, by making pitch and follow-up calls, and writing and disseminating program and event press releases.
3. Update and maintain media/promotional calendar.
4. Assist with planning and executing LCNVâs outreach strategy.
5. Create materials for and participate in outreach events, community meetings, and other efforts.
6. Periodically write and edit remarks and speeches for senior staff.
7. Contribute as needed to overall Development and Public Relations team strategy, including identifying and pursuing funding and partnership opportunities.
1. Minimum of a two-year degree and two years professional experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience) in marketing, communications, design, or related field.
2. Strong attention to detail; excellent oral and written communication skills.
3. Exceptional computer skills, including Microsoft Office, desktop publishing (Adobe CS4, and/or related), Wordpress (or similar CMS), Google Analytics, Google AdWords for Nonprofits, Constant Contact (or similar), Database (Salesforce preferred), video/photo editing, and Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress).
4. Comfortable developing and fostering favorable media relations.
5. The ideal candidate will be a team player, self-motivated, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks with timeliness, high ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy.
6. Demonstrate initiative, creativity, and commitment to the mission of LCNV.
7. Knowledge of current trends in graphic design, technology, media and advertising venues, etc.
8. Possess own transportation in order to attend events throughout the Washington, D.C. metro area.