Join our fun, dedicated team, working in a beautiful bird sanctuary on Sarasota Bay!
This is a part-time position with the potential for full-time in the future.
We rescue, rehabilitate, and release sick and injured wild birds. Birds that are unable to be released back into the wild are given permanent homes in our Wild Bird Learning Center, which is open to the public every day. The chosen candidate will lead our efforts to maintain our facility in top-notch condition for our resident birds and our guests.
- Clean bird habitats daily: rake grounds and clear debris; scrub walls and perches.
- Drain all pools, scrub with bleach, rinse and re-fill.
- Clean out pond drains as necessary.
- Feed birds daily according to a strict schedule: pick up food from hospital and deliver to birds; record the amount eaten by each; clean and return dishes; re-stock food for the hospital.
- Carefully monitor the birds; note and report any needs and/or unusual behavior to the hospital.
- Feed, provide water for and clean the habitat of the domestic rodents that are raised to feed the wild birds.
- Clean other areas outside the habitats such as boardwalks, storage areas, etc., as requested. Dispose of all trash in appropriate receptacles.
- Represent SOS with guests and visitors as they tour the facility; answer questions as necessary and help to make their experience a pleasant one.
- As necessary, oversee and direct the activities of volunteers working in these areas.
- Other tasks and projects as may be assigned by the CEO or Hospital Administrator.
- Must be comfortable handling wild birds and domestic rodents.
- Must be in good physical condition with high energy; able to lift 50 pound feed bags; scrub habitats, rake, etc., for a full work day.
- Must have a love of animals and especially wild birds.
- Must be willing and able to take direction.
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be dependable, reliable, and a good team player.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including WEEKENDS and some HOLIDAYS.
We are a strict drug-free and tobacco-free environment.
In order to be considered for this position, you MUST submit your resume and a cover letter online