QR Code Link to This Post
Casual Labor / Pack-out Crew
Position Status: Part-time/Call-in, Non-exempt
Reports To: Department Manager (or designee)
Location: Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Founded in 1998, Shrimp Improvement Systems (SIS) produces genetically improved and Specific Pathogen Free P vannamei shrimp broodstock and has initiated the breeding of P monodon and P stylirostris. The organization consists of a Nucleus Breeding Center, production tanks, hatchery and administrative buildings, and has proven to be ideal for both shrimp breeding and broodstock multiplication. Shrimp Improvement Systems is one of the leading producers of SPF vannamei in the worldwide shrimp aquaculture industry.
As a key member of the farm support team, the casual labor staff plays an important role in all of the functions required in the daily operations of the farm. The casual labor staff assists on an as-needed basis in all aspects of work on the farm to support the development and production of the shrimp. This includes assisting technicians and/or full-time work crew with selection, transfers, pressure washing, harvests, pack-out / shipment preparations, and campus maintenance. Casual staff will uphold the mission and vision of Shrimp Improvement Systems and promote teamwork at all times.
Supervisory Duties: None
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Perform all duties accurately and according to department protocols, providing optimal quality at all times.
2. Assist with pack-out preparation, materials and participation in pack-out line for shipments.
3. Assist with selections, transfers and harvesting of animals, under the guidance of technical staff/managers.
4. Prepare tanks by pressure washing tanks, airlifts, reservoirs and sumps.
5. Clean and prepare sorting/holding tanks/reservoir to ensure stations are maintained and ready for use.
6. Assist in unloading deliveries and ensuring they reach the proper destination on the campus.
7. Assist in repairs and/or regular upkeep of the tanks, pack-out areas and other sections of the property as needed.
8. Under the guidance of the technical staff/managers, assist with grow out duties such as DO checks, feeding and tank flushing.
9. Assist in maintaining a clean environment on the campus, following all health and safety guidelines and all biosecurity protocols.
10. Maintain confidentiality of all company proprietary information.
11. Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor or manager.
2. Attendance and Punctuality
4. Managing Performance
5. Attention to Communications
6. Oral Communication
8. Achievement Focus
13. Safety and Security
Required Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma or GED required.
2. Commitment to quality work in a fast paced environment is a must.
Preferred Education and Experience:
1. 1 -3 years of aquaculture experience is preferred but not required.
2. Good math skills.
3. Experience working with machinery, tools and chemicals.
Little to no travel is required for this position
1. Ability to work up to 20 hours per week on an as-needed basis; may include days, nights, weekends, holidays and/or on-call. Regular availability to be scheduled for work is essential to carry out the duties of this position. Punctuality is a must.
2. Ability to lift or carry up to 70 lbs.
3. Ability to work outdoors, doing physical work in hot temperatures, often on wet and/or uneven surfaces; and standing for long periods of time.
4. Working conditions may also include getting into the tanks and working in wet conditions with the animals.
5. Ability to work with chemicals such as bleach and acid, while following all safety guidelines.
All applicants may be subject to background checks, including a drug screen. If job duties require applicant to drive, a valid driverâs license is required, with a clean driving record.
Relocation assistance will not be provided. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Shrimp Improvement System LLC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance, 401K and paid vacation, holidays and sick time for all full-time employees. Part-time employees work up to 20 hours per week with no benefits except for those required by federal and state law and eligibility for 401k participation after 6 months of employment.
All interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. If you have a college degree, please include a copy of your transcripts.