PLEASE SEND ALL RESUMES TO BSTENGEL@NHE-INC.COM - SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!
Along with the Community Manager the Maintenance Technician is responsible for overseeing the physical assets, general maintenance repairs, apartment make-readies, preventive maintenance and construction or rehabilitation projects for an apartment community. Responsible for helping maintain an adequate inventory of supplies for repairs and monthly maintenance budget monitoring. This position could present the option to be promoted to Maintenance Supervisor. The Maintenance Technician position must be flexible and able to work varied schedule, including weekends and some holidays as required.
I. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under direction of the Community Manager/Maintenance Supervisor, performs maintenance activities for apartment community along with other maintenance staff.
- Works with the Maintenance Supervisor and Community Manager (i.e., walking apartments, move-in/move-out reports, etc.).
- Determine weekly apartment make-ready and Service Request schedules.
- Report apartments that are ready to show to the Community Manager.
- Complete weekly/daily maintenance employee assignments in tandem with Community Manager and maintenance supervisor.
- Make sure they have all the instructions necessary to complete assignment properly.
- Assist in maintaining the exterior grounds and curb appeal.
- Performs maintenance repairs related to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, pools, appliances drywall.
- Identify and correct hazardous community conditions.
- Coordinate and respond to resident/management requests and Service Request for occupied apartments.
- Use Service Request and schedules to establish priorities. Determine with Community Manager, requests or emergencies that should be top priority.
- Coordinate warranty work orders with Vendors.
- Coordinate, schedule and prepare vacant apartments for move-in.
- Walk all vacant units to determine make-ready needs. Coordinate effort with Community Manager to make schedule and assignments. If major appliances or carpets need replacing.
- Ensure all repairs/replacements necessary for apartment to be occupied are completed.
- Ensure all trash from apartments are cleaned out before, during and after make-ready activity.
- Provide initial safety and safety equipment training for all new employees.
- Tour property daily to look for needed maintenance and liability hazards and report to Community Manager.
- Repair hazards or assign completion of these tasks to the Maintenance Technicians. Also, secure storage/pool areas, check timers and listen for electrical shorts and malfunctioning motors.
- Coordinate, schedule, and perform preventive maintenance on equipment and apartments.
- Order supplies while managing maintenance budget.
- Work with Community Manager and use input from maintenance staff to determine supplies and equipment needs.
- Must get approval from Community Manager prior to placing orders for major expenditures and unbudgeted items.
- Attendance is an essential job function.
- May be requested to assist in other communities.
- Assist with hazardous weather problems, fires, floods, freezes, etc.
- Attends and participates in industry and NHEs training programs as required.
responsible for vendor monitoring and quality control.
- Performs the tasks of subordinate associates as needed.
- Perform any and all other duties as requested or assigned by your supervisor / manager.
- This job description does not list all functions and tasks. Job functions may be added, deleted, or modified at any time by the NHE management team.
II.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Propane torch (Plumbing)
- Steam clean/shampoo machine
- Key machine
- Sewer machine
- Sink machine
- Leak detector
- Pressure Washer
- Volt meter
- Manifold gauges
- Paint Sprayer
- Air conditioners
- Water heaters
- Welding torches (A/C)
- Hand tools
- Must be able to perform all facets of apartment make-ready.
- On a regular basis must use independent judgment (following prescribed procedures) to determine actions to be taken, priorities, emergencies, etc.
- Must be able to deal with moderate to high levels of stress due to meeting deadlines, reprioritizing activities and supervising employees.
- Will interact regularly with residents, vendors, contractors, supervisors, employees and coworkers and therefore, must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties and responsibilities.
- Attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to work with little direction maintaining confidentiality and professionalism.
- Be a team player and have an excellent work ethic.
III. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under direction of the Community Manager and Maintenance Supervisor, may include apprentice techs.
- Prior apartment maintenance experience is required.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and repair HVAC equipment, plumbing systems, electronic systems, all major appliances, pool and spa equipment and other systems on community (gates, phone jacks, irrigation systems, etc.).
- Must have a valid drivers license and means of immediate transportation to provide service calls.
V. EDUCATIONAL AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; some college or trade school preferred.
- Position requires a minimum of 3 years general maintenance experience and/or at least 1-year multi-family, industrial or institutional Service Request experience.
- Freon Recovery Certification Type I and II, or Universal.
- Certified Apartment Service Technician (CAMT) preferred.
- Certifications in boilers, plumbing, HVAC (basic and advanced), journeyman license, use of fire extinguisher and first aid preferred.
- Must have training in compressor diagnosis, appliance repair, etc.
- Must have certifications/permits required by city or state to perform job responsibilities (i.e., pool operations, maintenance, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.).
- Painting experience.
VI. LANGUAGE/MATHEMATICAL/REASONING ABILITY
Ability to generate reports, business correspondence. Effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, customers, and the general public. Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Must be able to read and write in English at intermediate level to read diagrams, meters, instructions, write reports, etc. Must be able to apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions and plans furnished written and verbally.
VII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following:
- Will use hands to finger, handle, or feel and; talk or hear.
- Will be exposed to constant activity that requires intermittent standing, walking, bending, crouching, pushing/pulling, lifting/moving/carrying (light to heavy weight material/appliances/equipment) up to and in excess of 50 pounds or more, climbing ladders/stairs, and walking on rooftops.
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate small-motorized equipment (i.e., repetitive hand/wrist, griping and elbow motion).
- Must have normal range of hearing, close, distance and color vision, color discrimination, peripheral vision, and depth perception and ability to adjust focus for proper operation and repair of machines, wiring, and equipment.
- Must be able to complete tasks wearing appropriate safety equipment (i.e., back belts, goggles, masks, gloves, etc.).
- Will be exposed on a regular basis to outdoor environment (i.e., heat, cold, damp, rain, etc.).
- Will also have light to moderate exposure to injuries (i.e., chemicals, electrical, machinery, tools, lifting, etc.).
- Will be exposed to some low-level noise when using power tools. Hazards can be minimized with proper lifting techniques, SDS and general safety training and wearing of proper safety equipment.
- Will be regularly called upon to work overtime and service calls after-hours schedules. Refer to your Community Manager for community specific service call/after-hours guidelines.
VIII. WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee primarily works indoors/outdoors from the NHE, Inc. on-site property. The employee will regularly work in a highly mobile environment in performance of the above duties and responsibilities. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.