Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon, and when that box-with-the-smile arrives, you wonder how it got to you so fast? Wondered where it came from and how much it would have cost Amazon? If so, Amazon's Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) team is for you. We build systems to peer into the future and estimate the distribution of tens of millions of products every week to Amazon's warehouses in the most cost-effective way. This team focuses on saving hundreds of millions of dollars using cutting edge science, machine learning, and scalable distributed software on the Cloud that automates and optimizes inventory and shipments to customers under the uncertainty of demand, pricing, and supply. Watch this short video for more on SCOT: http://bit.ly/amazon-scot
Within SCOT, Amazon's Fulfillment Network Planning (FNP) team focuses on generating free cash flow and fast customer deliveries by designing Amazon's near-term transportation network. Amazon's transportation network involves thousands of trucks and dozens of planes every day to move items that customers have ordered from our Fulfillment Centers to our Sort Centers and Delivery Stations. A quality network design saves Amazon tens of millions of dollars a year, improves the promised delivery time we can offer our customers, and reduces the possibility of missing a promised delivery date.
FNP is building the software solution to automate the Network design of the outbound transportation network. Automation saves time and serves as a foundational requirement for global network optimization across tens of thousands of configurations with trillions of potential combinations.
We seek a passionate, results-oriented, and inventive person to build systems that use mathematical modeling, simulations, and data analytics. Successful candidates are strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
High-level responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to
• Design, develop, test, troubleshoot, triage, debug, deploy, maintain, document, and deliver large-scale, highly distributed, real-time systems that are core to effectively managing the supply chain business.
• Gather and analyze business and functional requirements, and translate business requirements into technical design specifications.
• Serve as an essential technical resource in the full development cycle.
• Report on the status of projects and systems using available metrics.
• Recommend improvements in development, maintenance, and system standards, and contribute to software documentation.
• Work in an agile development environment.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field with 5+ years professional experience in software development.
• Experience with an object-oriented programming language.
• OO design skills with understanding of common design patterns.
• Demonstrated knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
• Ability to write secure, stable, testable, and maintainable code with minimal defects.
• Willingness to work in an agile, team development environment.
• Willingness to own full stack software and all stages of development process: design, testing, implementation, operational support.
• Ability to deal directly with customer/stakeholders.
• Experience in building highly available, large-scale and fault-tolerant distributed systems.
• Exposure to developing software in an agile development environment.
• Awareness of Big Data Technologies (Hive, Spark, MapReduce).
• Awareness of optimization techniques.