AWS Systems Manager is the operations hub for the AWS cloud. Many customers from startups to enterprises are running their entire infrastructure or parts of it in AWS. Operating this infrastructure in the cloud in a reliable way is absolutely important to our customers and we are a core part of that story. Many IT administrators and DevOps engineers rely on Systems Manager to operate their infrastructure safely and securely at scale. Systems Manager provides a unified operational dashboard to view operational data from multiple AWS services, manage large fleet of instances, manage their distributed applications as a single unit and automate their operational tasks/runbooks and define safe operational workflows. More info on Systems Manager: https://aws.amazon.com/systems-manager/).
We are looking for a Senior Software Development Manager to build and manage a high-performing, diverse and inclusive team. You should be passionate about attracting and developing a world-class team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skillsets to deliver results. Driving results through others is expected, and doing so in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is key to our long term success.
You should be a strategic, demonstrated leader with superior software development abilities across a global product base. You should have excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills as well as an ability to deliver results. You are also a champion of engineering excellence: you raise the bar on architecture, predictable quality, maintainability, performance, security and all the other things that make great software great.
The Systems Manager team values work-life balance. We value different lifestyles that people have - daycare pickups, helping a partner who works weekends, caring for aging parents, going to the gym once a day - and we want to provide an inclusive environment for everyone. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have an on-call rotation where you'll participate once every 5-6 weeks. We work to reduce our on-call load by ensuring that our systems are fault tolerant, and resolve the root cause of an issue so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are focused on the growth and development of every member of the team, and that includes our senior managers. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire Systems Manager organization and deliver initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams. This is a growth environment - we're hiring and scaling rapidly to meet the needs of our customers. You'll have the opportunity to grow your scope of influence naturally as we scale and we will have to hire and develop others along the way.
• BS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• 5+ years experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• 10+ years of commercial software development experience, with at least 6 years managing a development team
• 5+ years experience with more than one of Java, C/C, C#
• 7+ years experience of management experience and 2+ years of leading teams and managing managers designing and delivering systems level software
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Experience developing system software, distributed systems and data networking offerings
• Understanding of developing software with systems-level performance constraints.
• Familiarity with relational database principles.
• Background developing database internals.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.