POSITION: RN Registered Nurse
SUPERVISON: Executive Director
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
1. Current State of Colorado Registered Nurse (RN) License
1. One year experience in a health care field or with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a community, private or institutional setting preferred.
1. A criminal and Motor Vehicle record which meets company standards.
2. A valid Colorado Driver's license.
3. Verified legal status to work in the United States.
4. Professional demeanor and ability to safeguard confidential information.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
6. Demonstrated ability in the areas of disability services, case management or quality assurance.
7. Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office suite.
8. Ability to exercise judgment and initiate proper medical care for people supported.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
This position requires frequent walking, sitting and occasional standing and driving; occasional balancing, stooping, bending; frequent handling objects, and reaching with hands and arms; and constant finger movements. The position requires occasional lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects up to 25 lbs. The position also requires ordinary talking and hearing capability; full vision capabilities; and the ability to read/comprehend, write, communicate orally, and reason and analyze on a constant basis, and to perform calculations frequently. Work is performed using a computer and standard office machinery daily, and occasional use of a vehicle.
The RN Registered Nurse is responsible for assisting with the coordination of medical and health programs for adults with developmental disabilities in Mountain Valley Developmental Services programs.
1. Provide regular and ongoing training and evaluation, to direct support staff in the care and use of gastrostomy tubes and catheters in accordance with state regulations.
2. Communicate with guardians and families regarding medical history, concerns and ongoing care as needed.
3. Document nursing notes for all assessments conducted.
4. Write and/or review all medical protocols (catheter and g-tube)
5. Review and clarify doctor's orders as needed to ensure conformance with state regulations.
6. Exercise informed judgment and uses individual competence and qualifications as criteria for seeking consultation, accepting responsibilities.
7. Participates in activities that contribute to the ongoing development of the profession's body of knowledge.
8. Assist the Nurse Care Coordinator in completing an annual medical case review on each client which includes a year of medical evaluations, medical appointments, ongoing problems and any acute medical problems. In this process, medical protocols will be reviewed and delegation materials will be provided.
9. Medical communication is direct, clear and informed.
10. Be on-call as requested by the Nurse Care Coordinator or management, to provide medical advice to staff in the event of a medical/medication question, treatment question, medical emergency or development of a serious new health problem to determine treatment.
OTHER REQUIRED DUTIES
Standards of Behavior/Conduct
1. Respond to all requests for information or communication in a timely manner.
2. Follow all policies within the MVDS Employee Handbook.
3. Report all on-the-job injuries to immediate supervisor and Director of Human Resources within 24 hours of the occurrence and provide a detailed account of the events leading to the injury.
Attendance and Scheduling
4. Report for work on time and as scheduled.
5. Enter daily, accurate timekeeping records in timekeeping database.
6. Attend all regular staff meetings and other meetings as requested by supervisory or administrative staff members.
7. Work schedule as assigned.
8. Have all time-off requests pre-approved.
9. Have all over-time hours pre-approved or demonstrate they were due to an emergency.
10. Work at any MVDS facility and be responsible for own transportation to work.
Competencies and Certifications
1. Complete all mandatory new hire requirements and training as identified by the State of Colorado and Mountain Valley's training requirements within 90 days of hire and maintain courses and certifications as required.
2. Maintain skills with computers, take advantage of new technology, learn new tools quickly, use technology to enhance job performance and increase productivity. Maintain a current understanding of technical processes/equipment.
Adherence to policies and procedures
1. Adhere to MVDS policies and procedures outlined in the policy manual, Employee Handbook, and other employee policies.
2. Complete other duties and responsibilities as assigned to ensure the effective functioning of Mountain Valley's programming.
NOTE: This position description is intended to indicate the basic nature of the position and to provide examples of typical duties that may be assigned. It does not imply that all employees within the position perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.