At Wye Hill we want everyone to embody our core values and to maintain a sense of pride for our place of work both while at Wye and at home.
We are striving to craft an environment that curates a work/life balance without hindering either.
We hope to achieve this sense of pride by providing our employees with a safe and encouraging environment. We strive to assist our employees in meeting their personal and professional goals.
Our expectation of a Sous Chef is to uphold the responsibilities as defined by the Chef Team, as well as managing and teaching the current (and new) BOH staff.
The expectation for the Sous Chef is to be able to effectively manage and train current and incoming staff by utilizing their experience and knowledge in professional kitchens.
- Teaching proper cooking techniques in all roles and stations.
- Teaching Safe Cooking Techniques as outlined by Nationally Recognized Food Safety Experts (ServSafe, NRAEF, NCDHHS, etc)
- Coaching proper behaviors and techniques.
- Maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Teaching and upholding proper storage and product intake.
- Teaching and upholding proper and safe cleaning techniques through chemical balances, temperature, and handling.
The Sous Chef will also be expected to maintain proper stocks and pars on all food and prep items.
- Keeping proper inventory of dry storage.
- Keeping track of station pars and backstock of prepared items.
- Maintaining inventories of proteins, frozen foods, produce, and bread.
The Sous Chef will also be responsible for assisting with maintaining “In-Date” food preps and ensuring the staff is aware of proper prepping procedure and dating.
- Ensuring FIFO (first-in-first-out) is maintained by all staff.
- Teaching staff about master-prep items and ensuring that all batch-made items are in the correct label date.
- The proper disposal and logging of out-of-date items.
- Validating batch prep quantities to mitigate food waste.
The Sous Chef will be expected to be present for high volume shifts.
- Weekends mandatory.
- Minor scheduling flexibility required.
- Primarily evenings.
The Sous Chef role is not confined to a strictly managerial role, but will also be required to cook and present input with the Chef Team when designing menu items.
This will require a working knowledge of;
- Food Costing.
- Cooking Techniques.
- Conferencing ideas.
- Planning and Execution.
Applicants must be able to;
- Lift 50lbs regularly.
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Traverse multiple stories throughout the day.
Wye hill offers the following benefits;
- Health Insurance.
- Paid Time Off.
- Employee Discounts.
- Uniforms and Uniform Stipend.